How You Can Advocate for Policy Change at State Government

Abstract: Legislative advocacy! Yes, you can! The Hatch Act establishes certain limitations on federal employees’ ability to engage in political activity, but you can engage in advocacy and self-expression.

Summary: You can influence the state government policymaking process as a private resident, even if you are a government employee. You have the right to seek help from your elected representatives in addressing your concerns, as long you are on your own time, use your personal phone or computer, and make it clear that you are advocating as a citizen and not speaking on behalf of the agency. In this presentation, you will learn the difference between legislative advocacy and lobbying, what you can or cannot do when advocating for a policy change as a government employee, and how to be successful.